How to Become a Volunteer:
1. Check out this flyer on volunteer programs at our department.
2. Please Fill out an application and submit it to the HR Manager. Please include copies of your drivers’ license and certifications. Applications may be mailed or hand-delivered to the District office at 400 E. Mountain View, Ellensburg, WA 98926. Volunteer applications may be submitted via email to HR Manager Sydney McBride firstname.lastname@example.org. Complete volunteer job descriptions are available upon request.
Volunteer and Resident Firefighter Programs:
Kittitas County Fire District #2 (KVFR) accepts applications for Volunteer, Reserve, and Resident Firefighters.
Volunteer firefighters fulfill an important role at KVFR staffing seven of the nine stations. Volunteers have the opportunity to operate at a broad spectrum of levels base on every individual’s abilities, knowledge, certifications, training and experience level. Levels of qualifications include interior firefighting, wildland firefighting, apparatus driver, staging manager and Non SCBA emergency operations, vehicle extrication, Basic First Aid to Emergency Medical Technician, traffic management at emergency scenes, and fire prevention and safety education. All volunteers are required to attend a minimum of 20 hours of training and a minimum of 10% of their stations call volume annually to remain in good standing with the District and to be eligible for retirement credit. Volunteers receive a stipend per call and per drill or training. Insurance coverage is also provided under the Washington State Volunteer Pension and Relief Act. Volunteers are also eligible for retirement through Washington State Volunteer Pension Fund after achieving the required years of service.
Resident Volunteer Firefighter:
The position of Volunteer Resident FF with KVFR is designed to be a training position for members to become career personnel inside KVFR or with other agencies. Resident FF’s are all required to be EMT-B and have a valid CPAT prior to employment in this classification. Members are re-imbursed for some expenses and provided with constant training opportunities. Residents have minimum shift coverage each month and are expected to make the fire station their primary residence. Resident FF’s receive testing incentive points based on longevity, performance and standing with the department.
Testing & Orientation:
While we accept applications through the year. However, the orientation and testing process occurs in November of each year. Recruit class starts in January.
Requirement for Resident Positions
The written test is based on general aptitude and is not agency specific nor does it require any previous fire experience. Picture ID is required to take the test. The test will be administered immediately following the orientation. Candidates with a passing score are notified after the test and an oral interview will be scheduled.
Requirement for Volunteer and Resident Position
Interviews will be scheduled for those interested in volunteer positions at the conclusion of the orientation. Reserve and resident interviews will be scheduled following the written test.
- Current EMT-B certification by date of written exam for resident candidates.
- Current CPAT* certification by date of position appointment for resident candidates. Certification must be less than 12 months at the time of position appointment.
- Valid Washington Driver’s license in good standing by date of hire. (Some violations may be cause for disqualification according to the District’s criteria).
- Minimum of 18 years of age with a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Legal U.S. resident. NOTE: PURSUANT TO THE IMMIGRATION REFORM AND CONTROL ACT, ALL NEW EMPLOYEES MUST PRESENT ACCEPTABLE DOCUMENTS VERIFYING IDENTITY AND AUTHORIZATION TO BE EMPLOYED IN THE UNITED STATES.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate the English language.
*CPAT = Candidate Physical Ability Test
1. Go to www.nationaltestingnetwork.com or call 425-423-9922 or
2. Go to www.publicsafetytesting.com or call 1.866.HIRE-911
KITTITAS VALLEY FIRE RESCUE
IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER